Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Leaves They are a Changin'

In my effort to give my shoulders a break from any long term injury I have taken a whole week and a half off of paddling. This has been the first two weekends in a row that I haven't paddled since April. However, I still needed to get outside and enjoy the beautiful fall weather and scenery. So Jess, Delia (her cool dog) and I headed up towards my old stomping grounds Shenandoah National Park. We Drove a ways up the Rapidan River and found a great campsite. We were getting there just before dark, so I had to stop and get a few pictures.
The drive in felt as if we were driving through the scene of a calender page.

Driving up the holler


The Rapidan River, although crowded at times, is one of my favorite fishing spots in SNP. If you hike up far enough or head out in less than desirable conditions or times of year you can have it to yourself. The fishing is great and the scenery spectacular. The Hughes River is probably my favorite just because of its remoteness.

Nice little pool on the Rapidan

Its no wonder President Hoover had a summer home here during his Presidency.


Another pool on the Rapidan

Sunday we headed upland and hiked to Mary's Rocks, a rock outcrop with a nice 360 degree view. From here you can see out to the tidewater area on the east and the Page Valley and Shenandoah valley to the west.


Looking Northeast from Mary's Rocks

No comments: