Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Summer of Dam releases

My first big step in taking my kayaking to the next level came this spring when I ran the Upper Yough for the first time. Billy and I took a Shredder up to the Cheatfest this year and ran the upper Yough on Friday in the shredder so I could see the lines, then Saturday I ran it in my kayak. What an awesome river. It has a little bit of everything. Little did I know at that point how many more times I would get to paddle this awesome river in the coming months. Rivers like like upper Yough proved to be a great training ground for preparing for more difficult runs. There are plenty of class 5 moves to make with class 3 consequences.


Joe at Cheeseburger Falls, Upper Yough

In the beginning of July Billy, Joe and I took a road trip south to catch some dam release waters and a change of scenery. We paddled the Cheoah river in North Carolina, which has just recently been reopened for whitewater recreation and then made it down to the Ocoee in Georgia.

Joe and Billy at the bottom of the Cheoah run

Hanging out at our awesome roadside/riverside campsite

No comments: